[linux-audio-dev] Re: This better not be patented...

Stefan Nitschke stefan_nitschke at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:47:22 UTC 2004

>On tor, 2004-09-16 at 13:14, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
>
> > > "Pricing was not announced yet, but Cann says he will make his
>technology
> > > available for "far less" than the cost of professional studio DSP
>solutions
> > > which can run into the high five-figure range. He estimates the price
> > > will be somewhere between $200-$800."
> >
> > In their website:
> > Copyright © 2004 BionicFX. All rights reserved worldwide. Patent
>Pending.
> >
>Uhmm .. They have a patent pending on 'Copyright (C) 2004' ??
>:))
>
> > OK, people should start searching any text which mentions
> > that GPUs could be used to audio processing. Perhaps music-dsp had
> > discussions. I may have something written down on my own.
> >
>Here is an early paper:
>
>   http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/oskin/thompson-micro2002.pdf
>
>It is about general-purpose-computing of which audio-processing is a
>subset. (BTW: Check out the aging references on the last page.)
>
>More papers can be found here: http://www.gpgpu.org
>
>/jens
>
> > Juhana

Sorry i missed the start of this thread.
What is this patent about?
Do they claim a patent on using a GPU for numeric calculations, which
would be odd as a GPU is build for that,
Or is it about a special technic to get the data back from the video
card?
According to their home page, getting the data back is a big bottle
nek... so why not mixing down the tracks on the video-card, or is that
also patent pending?

regards,
Stefan