[linux-audio-dev] Linux/Alsa Tascam US-122 Issues

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Sep 28 08:14:49 UTC 2004

Antonio Willy Malara wrote:

>Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> Karsten Wiese wrote:
>> > I've got something cooking to solve this, but don't know when it will
>> > be ready.
>
> really!?!?!? THANX!!! :)
>
>> AFAICR, the last alsa-driver release version from which snd-usb-usx2y
>> worked barely was 1.0.5a. I do remember also that it was somewhat
>> unstable, specially regarding jackd support, but IMMV.
>
> thanks for the infos!! infact downgrading to 1.0.5a works well.. uhm..
> not really well, with oss emulation it has a PERFECT sound, the only alsa
> app i use (would to) is jack, but it will kick itself out after really
> few second of operation, even with -R switches and so..

As of yesterday, after applying the Karten's cooking patch on top of
alsa-kernel CVS HEAD (which is about 1.0.7rc1) I've got partial success,
at least the kernel doesn't oops anymore.

You can follow the details on ALSA bugtracker bug #0000425
(https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000425).

The fact is that 1.0.7rc1 with this usx2y+ohci patch works fine with alsa
native interface (e.g. aplay -D hw:x), but jackd hangs on some
pcm_prepare() loop, being ultimately killed by jack_watchdog.

I can't tell for sure, but AFAICR and Antonio seems to confirm, this jackd
behaviour is exactly the same as the one of 1.0.5a: aplay OK, jackd HANGS.

That said, I guess we're back in business nevertheless, on the OHCI arena
at least.

OTOH, Karsten is also cooking a experimental usx2y jack backend that
recently made a great success around here (erm, that was on my desktop, a
UHCI  based one). Very promising stuff. So promising, that I've already
added support for it on my qjackctl CVS tree :)

I just wonder if we can merge these and test whether things get any
better. But Karsten may have even better ideas... ;)

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org