[linux-audio-dev] live pa questions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Apr 4 13:45:50 UTC 2005

>Is there a chance that signals generated from software could damage live PA
>equipment? I'm guessing not, as there is obviously (I assume) some limiting
>built into soundcards, but I'm just wondering what applications do to, if
>anything, to help.

soundcards generally don't put out anything but line-level signals
and/or digital i/o. neither is capable, by itself, of hurting
anything, and it certainly won't power a PA. that job falls to the
amps that take the line level and boost it. if the amp can destroy the
PA, the it can do so with or without the help of the soundcard :)

--p