[linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Apr 8 20:28:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 16:14 -0400, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> As far as I see it, we'll at least get listened to by Con, Ingo and
> Andrew Morton. I've had a long discussion with Con recently and from his
> point of view, the problem is that not enough people ask (loud enough)
> for such features. For instance, I'm still the first and only user of
> his real-time patch.

I think many of the kernel developers have fallen into the trap of only
listening to the distros on the assumption that if enough users want
something that they'll hear from RedHat or SuSE.  Clearly this is
necessary to some extent, as the distros have to filter out the
actionable bug reports, etc., and works for 99% of what users want, but
the other 1% who use a specialized distro that does not have kernel
hackers on the payroll have a hard time getting heard.

But they will listen if people make enough noise on the mailing list.

Lee