[linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

Sat Apr 9 03:23:21 UTC 2005

> If being an audio developer carried any weight with these people,
> you'd think they would listen to Paul Davis or Lee Revell or me.  They
> don't.

Then, they might listen to Paul Davis, Lee Revell, you, me, authors of
Vorbis, Theora, GnomeMeeting, and so on at the same time.

> Con Kolivas is one of the good guys.  But, the "arrogant fools" don't
> listen to him much, either.

As far as I see, Con is mostly having problems showing that there's an
interest. The fact that I'm the only person that tried his new scheduler
didn't help.

> Go slowly demanding new scheduler hackery.  Ingo and Con both have
> good ideas, but neither scheduler worked well enough for prime time in
> my testing a couple of months ago.

If you tried a couple months ago, I think you got something quite
different than what I'm talking about. From what I understand, Ingo had
two ideas (the recent one being better) and Con's SCHED_ISO from a few
months ago didn't have much to do with the recent
SCHED_ISO_FIFO/SCHED_FIFO_RR that really allow real-time scheduling, not
just increased priority. Otherwise, can you comment on what exactly
didn't work well. I only tried Con's patch, but I didn't see any
difference between SCHED_ISO_FIFO and SCHED_FIFO as root. Well the only
difference I saw is that when I did screw up, I could still kill the
app.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Université de Sherbrooke