[linux-audio-dev] Chionic 1.0.0 Final (Sampler) Released!!

Juan Linietsky coding at reduz.com.ar
Sat Apr 9 16:23:31 UTC 2005

Paul Davis wrote:

>>I'm over with the development of chionic, on it's first release. I have
>>to sadly accept that as much as it works the way I want, I cant
>>communicate my sequencer to chionic in the way I need (because Jackd is
>>too poor to do it the proper way).
>>

>  [... ]
>

>>CHIONIC IS DEAD UNTIL SOMEONE DECIDES TO PICK IT UP AND CONTINUE
>>DEVELOPMENT (or until Jackd matures enough.. yeah right :)
>>

>this style of complaining about the lack of MIDI in jackd is
>irritating, to say the least.
>
>jack was not written with the goal of handling non-streaming
>byte-oriented protocols. despite that, ian esten managed to add MIDI
>support very rapidly (less than a week, including 2 complete
>reimplementations).
>
>the reason jackd doesn't have MIDI support is that ian went to work
>for a rather large commercial audio software+hardware company, which
>raised difficult issues about our ability to accept his code. it has
>taken a long time (too long) to get an official and unambiguous
>release from the company to make it clear that they have absolutely no
>claims on jack-midi.
>
>if jack-midi is so important to you, take the work that ian post to
>LAD (which is unambigously clear of any claims because it was written
>before he started working there) and fix up the issues with
>it. otherwise, please quit whining as if it was someone's job to
>provide you with the facilities you want.
>
>jack will support MIDI, its just hard to predict the timescale right
>now.
>
>--p

Hi Paul! First of all sorry if that did sound a bit rude, as it was not
the intention.  I understand that everyone is working hard on Jackd. I
also know the story behind jack-midi , I'd love to contribute and help
to it, but I am an employed person and I just have no free time to work
on something like that.  I am also not going to develop Chionic for some
patched version of a library (and not the official tree) because it
would force users to use that version. Chionic was even on hold since
november because I didnt have time to prepare a release. In any case,
now that I have a bit of time I am now seeing about development a of
host plugin API with integrated UI, with the concepts we talked about
with Torben, this way I can make the sampler a host plugin to sequencers
and not worry about Jackd (which, as you said, if understand well, is
not meant for that). I hope that this will be of use to Ardour and other
projects too whenever, for audio, and for when they support Midi.

Cheers!

Juan