[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Concerning libfst, vstserver, and dssi-vst

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Apr 12 19:30:30 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 Apr 2005 02:16, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Ah.  No point talking about it here then.
>
> this is LA*D*, where we are free to ramble about every stillborn idea
> that shows up in our wacky little minds, isn't it? :)

Except it's a bit of a pointless ramble if nobody reading you knows what
you're talking about.  Talking about code on a free software mailing list
without the code being available to the list's readers seems a bit futile.

> >You can't legally link anything that uses the Steinberg
> >headers into a GPL application and distribute the results as a binary,
> >with or without source.
>
> well, actually, thats not quite true. *I* can do that for Ardour, and
> I suspect that the Rosegarden group could do that for RG as
> well.  Ditto Werner with MusE; since we are the copyright owners, we
> can do whatever we damn well please :)

No, you can't.  If your application has to link with third-party GPLd
libraries, such as libsamplerate, liblo, or the KDE libraries, then you have
to respect their licences.  And that means you can't link with Steinberg's
headers and distribute the results (at least as they're licensed at the
moment).

Chris