[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 19, Issue 26

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Tue Apr 12 21:26:17 UTC 2005

Michael Ost wrote:

>We at muse research have some direct experience in this area. Our VST
>support library is closed, but we do use and contribute to Wine.
>
>We find and fix VST related Wine bugs all the time. We are using
>wine-20040914 but will probably be moving to wine-20050310. Later
>versions do make a difference in how well plugins are supported.
>
>Support and compatibility is OK especially for the smaller, freebie
>plugins. For the big ones (like Native) compatibility is more
>problematic. We will be helping with this effort by finding and fixing
>Wine bugs, and significant differences between Wine and Windows. Some
>are fixable with Wine and some will require developer cooperation.
>
>As an example, sfz (a Soundfont player) makes an Invalidate() call
>during the (supposedly) realtime process() call. In Windows that's
>cheap, in Wine it's not.  The sfz folks weren't willing to change their
>plugin. But the folks at BFD (Fxpansion) were. A Receptor and Wine
>friendly version is forthcoming.
>

>>    Trying to resolve licensing issues with Steinberg (if they're
>>willing to alter their licensing, perhaps they just need some more
>>prodding?).
>>

>This is a dead end. You can argue it all you want. They have no business
>interest in changing the terms of VST. It isn't going to happen. It's
>even difficult to get some of the key, larger plugin vendors to do
>anything for Linux but we are chipping away at it.

brilliant - this looks like the sort of dedicated, humble-yet-persistent
effort that is needed!

i like yr idea of approaching the developers - as an idea, they could
maybe do something for their vst plugins what some game companies do for
their games - use the same cd to install to linux as you would with
windows, but installation is done with a script patch that changes
anything needed to be changed for installation.

shayne