[linux-audio-dev] Tracktion, JUCE and Linux

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Apr 26 12:42:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

Just noticed about this recent release of JUCE 1.10:
  (http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce/)
which I think is the first one ready for build on Linux. Indeed, I've just
tested the "jucedemo" program and it seems to be running quite fine.
Impressive, I may say.

As expected, only the GUI code is now working, and I almost sure it is
working pretty well, at least on my X.org boxes. I'm quite excited to know
that JUCE Linux native port has evolved and is materializing.

However, the Audio and MIDI abstraction framework is still to be filled in.
And this is exactly the purpose of this very post--yet again, if you
remember, since last January exchange on this :)

You might remember then, that I've brought this very subject into
attention to the Linux Audio Developers and USers (LAD/LAU) mailing list,
and to put a long story short: help is being here reiterated to write the
native Linux Audio and MIDI implementations of the JUCE C++ framework,
which among other things, may bring a native Tracktion Linux port into
light :P

Given that JUCE is being released under the GPL, and if some of the LADs are
willing to help (me included), things just could happen sooner than later ;)

That said, I'm all about taking explicit directions for a JACK
implementation on JUCE's Audio interface, and ALSA-sequencer for MIDI. Is
there something already in the works or is it something that some of us
(the LADs) can step in and give a hand ?

And what about public hosting of the JUCE project, given that its being
released under an open-source license (GPL)? Yet again, this is just a
humble suggestion of mine. To give you an hint, sourceforge.net's project
name "juce" is still available for registration, or so I believe.

I'll be very happy to know about some comments on this. Specially from the
LADs. Thanks anyway.

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela