[linux-audio-dev] Tracktion, JUCE and Linux

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Wed Apr 27 12:41:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:33:02AM +0100, Julian Storer wrote:

> Alfons: I expect an apology for your comment. I'm very rarely annoyed by
> things that people post on forums, but you've misunderstood a passing
> comment I made, and extrapolated it to suggest that I'm some kind of thief.
>
> All I meant was that on the couple of occasions when people (friends of
> mine, in fact) have *voluntarily* contributed code to my project, I
> ended up restructuring it because I didn't like the their coding style.
> I don't steal code, and don't expect to be randomly accused of doing so
> by people who know nothing about me.

Jules,

I did not suggest that you were doing anything illegal, and as long as
what you do is legal, you certainly are not a thief.
But I do apologize, since the formulation of my comment did indeed leave
room for it to be interpreted in the way you do. And, as you write, I do
not know you and should have given you at least the benefit of doubt.

What I still do find disturbing is that you claim your project to be GPL-ed.
The dual license scheme effectively allows any user to buy him/herself
out of his/her obligations under the GPL. The GPL itself does not AFAIK
allow for such a buy-out, so as far as I can see it just doesn't apply.

> ... So if you want to contribute, you'd  need to be happy about me taking
> over the copyright of any stuff you send me.

I don't see the point. If you completely rewrite it - for whatever reason -
the copyright on the new version is yours anyway. I don't have to be happy
about it.

--
FA