[linux-audio-dev] Sequencer Concept

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Apr 30 11:52:16 UTC 2005

Hi!

I have been thinking about how an advanced sequencer could
look and work over and over again and now finaly managed
to come up with one consistent concept that i would like
to present here now.

A mockup to illustrate the following explainations:
http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/sequencer_05.png

The basic idea is to have nested containers to be arranged
verticaly and horizontaly. All information is tied to or
contained in these containers.

As the horizontal axis stands for time, i needed to express
the nesting only verticaly (plus color), so that's what the
round corners and the empty bottoms of the containers are
for. Maybe it helps when you think on Lisp and paranthesis,
only vertcaly.

On the mockup the big white container defines absolute
time (min/sec) and the context for playback control (only
one play position inside thsi container (for each user)).
Several of them could exist in parallel, all with their
own playback control.

The next, yellow container defines the meter (the ruler)
4/4, followed by a tempo track set to 120 BPM.

The blue container is an audio container. These can
take others of their kind, audio inputs and outputs
and finaly audio clips. This one defines an "Out 1"
and its send level and conatins 3 clips.

Below it, the green container sets a 3/4 meter.
Because it is inside the 4/4 container, the quarter notes
match. If outside, it would have to have its own and
independent tempo track.

The last Container is for MIDI. It has IN and OUT as
attributes. Alternatively these could be expressed on tracks
like used for tempo, what would make them changeable inside
the container.

Every Container can be used as a pattern (instances).
They could have a dropdown menu to swutch between
different versions (/takes).

I have some more ideas and details, but i think this should be
enough for now! :)

I have only basic and seldomly applied coding skills, and
this doesn't look like a one man project anyway ...
So I hope for interested developers ... or that at least
this gives someone some inspiration. I would be happy to
further develop my concepts of course (allthough my diploma
in industrial design, same topic: sequencer takes priortiy
for the next 3 months).

---
Thorsten Wilms