[linux-audio-dev] Libs for reading/writing midis

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:31:13 UTC 2005

> > rosegarden and muse's source it seems there's always app specifics
> > intertwined.
>
> Sure, *because* there wasn't a standard midifile library around in the
> first place, they all hacked it into the program directly, therefore it is
> intertwined :-).

No. The first release date of Thompson's library is unknown, but at some
places in the sources there is a notice saying: "June, 1989 - Added code to
write midi files...".

The old Xaw-based Rosegarden was born in 1994. The new Rosegarden4 development
started in 2001, and Muse did in 1999.

Why nobody uses this library is unknown for me. There is a copy of it in
alsa-lib package [1], added in 1999 according with the CVS history. It is
used for tests, but the MIDI player and recorder programs in alsa-utils don't
use it.

[1]
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/alsa/alsa-lib/test/midifile.c?rev=1.3&view=markup

Regards,