[linux-audio-dev] threading in DSSI plugins

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Wed Aug 10 10:01:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 11:34:39AM +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> a] is it possible to use threading in a DSSI?

I've done this in some LADSPAs, it works.

> b] would a RT prio of 1 (for the convolution thread) be an OK
> compromise? It will be lower than all audio stuff on a typical jack
> system? What is jackd's default RT prio again?

When running in JACK, you can obtain JACKS thread id and then
look up its priority. Otherwise, you can query the thread's prio
the first time your process() is called and then create a thread
just below it.

> [2] - yes, i'm aware that this needs again some extra buffering ;)

It doesn't need to: the extra buffering can be absorbed into the
buffers you need anyway - zero overhead. I've got a C++ implementation
of this, just drop me a line if you want it.

--
FA