[linux-audio-dev] ALSA MIDI logger? (Was: Radio Scanner Recorder)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Aug 29 00:55:40 UTC 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 03.47, Guillaume Filion wrote:
[...]
> (...)that is not record when the sound is below a certain threshold.
> This could easily be done with ecasound's -ge parameter.
>
> However, I started thinking and found that it would be better to
> have a different file for each segment. For example, if there is
> - 45 seconds of speech, followed by
> - 3 minutes of silence,  followed by
> - 2 minutes of speech
> I would get two files, one 45 seconds long and one 2 minutes long.

Is there anything like this, but for MIDI, out there?

I'd like something that runs in the background (I'd probably start it
up automatically with the system), subscribing to any ALSA MIDI
inputs that might be of interest, automatically recording all events,
and saving each "burst of activity" as a separate .mid file.

One would probably want to make sure that each .mid gets a header that
restores the CC state at the time the recording started, and some
comments about the ALSA sequencer routing and connected clients might
come in handy sometimes. None of that is really required, though.

This strikes me as something that should be relatively easy to do,
though I'd rather not hack it from scratch if there's any reasonably
nice code lying around somewhere.