[linux-audio-dev] Merging digital sampling sessions

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Dec 10 22:09:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 22:52 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> I have a minidisc player with S/PDIF output and an ALSA supported
> soundcard (details if the card are not really important for the
> problem at hand).
>
> I sample recordings via
>
> arecord -D spdif -f cd
>
> Ok, and here is the rub: playback is not perfect, and neither seems to
> be the sampling.  Probably at times error interpolation sets in,
> probably at times samples get lost or replicated.  Not much, perhaps
> once per minute or so.  This leads to audible clicks, of course.

Well, it would be better to figure out why arecord doesn't work than try
to work around it.

Use "arecord -v -D spdif -f cd" and see if a rate conversion plugin is
used.  The ALSA SRC is not great so if that is the case then you'll get
better results sampling at 48KHz (-f dat) then downsampling to 44.1
afterward.

Lee