[linux-audio-dev] playing ascii?

Aaron aamehl at actcom.net.il
Wed Dec 14 11:48:29 UTC 2005

Hi
I need help with a conceptual and practical problem.

How do you get sync between- audio/midi and ascii text plus notation
displayed in a graphical program written in gtk+2?

Here is the problem:

I have notation is lilypond (www.lilypond.org) in a text editor, either vim emacs jedit
or a custom text editor if need be.

the audio of that text as midi or wav lets say

the same notation displayed Graphically in Denemo
(www.denemo.sourceforge.net)

The result needed is:
1.
to add text in the editor and have them show up graphically, and to
add notes graphically and have them show up as text.

Also the cursors in the applications should stay in sync.

2.
Playback:
To have audio playback of the sound either in midi or wav where the
cursor in Denemo and the text editor stay in synce, and scroll karoke
style.

2a. Have a scrub feature where a specific measure or set of notes can
be played either from the ascii text or the graphic notation in
Denemo.

So first conceptually how can this be acheived?

Can I use a preexisting text editor such as VIM, Emacs or Jedit or
must I create my own to acheive this?

What libs scripts apps would help ease the implementation of the
above.

Is this a reasonable feature to hope to implement? And if it isn't,
how could it be done anyways.

thanks

Aaron