[linux-audio-dev] playing ascii?

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 17:38:57 UTC 2005

Aaron wrote:
> Hi
> I need help with a conceptual and practical problem.
>
> How do you get sync between- audio/midi and ascii text plus notation
> displayed in a graphical program written in gtk+2?
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> I have notation is lilypond (www.lilypond.org) in a text editor, either vim emacs jedit
> or a custom text editor if need be.
>
> the audio of that text as midi or wav lets say
>
> the same notation displayed Graphically in Denemo
> (www.denemo.sourceforge.net)
>

> The result needed is:
> 1.
> to add text in the editor and have them show up graphically, and to
> add notes graphically and have them show up as text.
>
> Also the cursors in the applications should stay in sync.
>
> 2.
> Playback:
> To have audio playback of the sound either in midi or wav where the
> cursor in Denemo and the text editor stay in synce, and scroll karoke
> style.
>
> 2a. Have a scrub feature where a specific measure or set of notes can
> be played either from the ascii text or the graphic notation in
> Denemo.

> So first conceptually how can this be acheived?
>
> Can I use a preexisting text editor such as VIM, Emacs or Jedit or
> must I create my own to acheive this?
>
> What libs scripts apps would help ease the implementation of the
> above.
>
> Is this a reasonable feature to hope to implement? And if it isn't,
> how could it be done anyways.
>
> thanks
>
> Aaron

I can help from a sync point of view.
You use a global clock. i.e. the clock you can get form the midi device,
or get_time_of_day()

You then sync each stream of information to the global clock.
That is generally quite easy to do.
A by-product of that, is all the streams then appear synced together,
although that is not how you implement it.

James