[linux-audio-dev] db gain controls.

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 01:37:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a question for some audio professionals out there.
What is the smallest sensible gain control step in dB.
Is it 0.5dB ?
I am asking, because if one is using a digital gain control in a 24bit
fixed point DSP, once could use almost any step size, so I am looking
for the smallest sensible size to use.

Some people mentioned earlier on a previous thread that there was
something called soft gain control, where the user moves the gain up a
step, but the mixer gradually(fairly quickly) adjusts the volume to the
new level, so no clicks are heard on the speakers. How does these soft
gain controls prevent the clicking? Do they wait for the zero crossing
point to adjust the gain?

James