[linux-audio-dev] Re: [ANN] DRC: Digital Room Correction 2.6.2

Ben Loftis ben at glw.com
Thu Dec 29 15:05:32 UTC 2005

> are you using it in a professional environment? So far it's been used only
> for home/hobbyist situations, and I would be really interested to hear
> about any use in a more professional situation.

Denis,

My application is that of a "non-commercial" mastering studio.  I do a bit of
mastering for my friends in Nashville, but so far I've only worked with the
rough mixes, nothing that's made it onto a record.

The reason I'm so excited about DRC is that it transforms my
not-mastering-quality Klipschorns into something that is very accurate, or at
least measures so, and in my opinion is comparable to the high-end mastering
and mixing studios I've visted.

For those who don't know, Klipschorns use a folded horn to load a 15" woofer
and convetional horn-loaded midrange and tweeter into a cabinet that fits
tightly in the corner of the room.  They have extremely high efficiency and
low distortion, but abysmal phase and frequency response.  Luckily, these are
EXACTLY the things that DRC is designed to fix.  Most speakers have 10% or so
distortion at low frequencies and moderate listening levels.  As far as I
know, this can't be removed by any sort of  electronic correction.  With this
setup and some modest room treatment, I've got very low distortion, AND flat
frequency response.

-Ben Loftis
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com
http://www.studiooutfitters.com