[linux-audio-dev] Audio/Midi system - RT prios..

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Dec 30 15:34:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:03:44 +0100
Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen at chello.se> wrote:

> Flo!
>
> Is it important for the midi thread priority to be above the soundcard
> IRQ, or is it enough to be above jackd?

This is not 100% clear to me. I'd figure it should be above soundcard
irq, too, just to be safe. I don't know enough about the internals of
how and if priority is inherited by threads waiting for IRQ's.

The previous posts were also all about midi routing from different apps
on the same machine. I do not know how sending/receiving MIDI to
physical ports is handled. Maybe the soundcard IRQ does play a role
here. But a higher prio thread waiting for a lower prio IRQ will not
really cause any troubles from my understanding (it will just work).

> How will having several sound/midi cards fit into this scheme?

Well, to get several audio cards working you will need to get them to
work in a single jack server first, so the part about the jack priority
setup still holds.

Then again just put all midi stuff again at the higher prios. I don't
see much changing here.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!