[linux-audio-dev] Audio/Midi system - RT prios..

Chris Cannam chris.cannam at ferventsoftware.com
Fri Dec 30 19:06:29 UTC 2005

Me:
> I'll have to review the sequencer API and look at
> adding a separate RT MIDI thread as an alternative

Actually no, hang on a minute.  First I want to know
more about why the ALSA sequencer queue doesn't
work better here.

It's all very well saying it's irrelevant now that it's
so easy to create RT threads, but I think that's
bogus.  Probably a substantial majority of Rosegarden
users doing MIDI only are using systems on which it
isn't possible for a random user to create RT
threads at all.  For these users, the ALSA sequencer
ought to be able to do a lot better than an ordinary
unprivileged thread can.  I'd like to know why it might not.

I'm not at a proper computer just now, to delve
through code - anyone have any more idea about this?

Chris