[linux-audio-dev] Audio/Midi system - RT prios..

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Dec 31 15:12:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 14:58 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> Paul Davis:
> > most of the ALSA sequencer's
> > capabilities are redundant, which is compounded
> > because it currently has
> > no way of providing sufficiently accurate scheduling
>
> You say this as if it were self-evident, when it's been
> the subject of much of this thread.  _Does_ it have
> no way of providing sufficiently accurate scheduling?
> If not, why not?

i guess it all depends on one's definition of "sufficient". my take is
that there are several MIDI h/w boxes that guarantee MIDI delivery to a
resolution that matches the wire protocol (1/3msec). until we have
scheduling capabilities that match this (or better), i don't feel
comfortable calling them "sufficient".