[linux-audio-dev] Linux friendly, portable digital recording devices?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Jan 3 19:11:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 11:50, David Olofson wrote:
> On Sunday 02 January 2005 18.53, Jan Depner wrote:
> [...]
> > When recording on batteries they will
> > last longer using mp3 recording than WAV recording.
>
> Weird. :-) Disk/flash I/O uses more power than mp3 encoding...?

    Only with the disk.  It has to keep spinning it up.

> > One of the nice things about this company is that
> > they have open sourced all of their software and opened the specs
> > for the units.  They actually want open source developers on-board
> > (go figure).
>
> Kewl. One should almost get one just for political reasons. ;-)

    Also the fact that it supports OGG and FLAC.

> (But I could use one anyway, for recording those interesting sounds
> that are too far from my computer to be recorded directly.)

    That's one of the main reasons I got one.  I've got a little
Behringer MX602A to go with it for recording gigs.  I used to use a huge
SONY PCM with a VCR and the mixer.  It also will record in 48KHz instead
of 44.1KHz.

Jan