[linux-audio-dev] provding plugins with various in/out counts vs. using splitters-mergers

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Tue Jan 4 21:00:41 UTC 2005

tisdagen den 4 januari 2005 21.57 skrev Chris Cannam:
> On Tuesday 04 Jan 2005 20:20, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > Personally, I think it's a disgusting waste of time and effort to
> > make every stereo plugin have to have a mono->stereo sibling.  It
> > just /screams/ bad solution.
>
> I agree, it sounds ridiculous -- on first hearing at least.  I'm going
> to have to go and read some of this ardour-dev discussion (it's not a
> list I subscribe to) and see if it makes any more sense to me then.
>
> I realise it's not easy (or even always possible) to do the Right Thing
> in the host -- my own host has some way to go too -- but I don't
> understand why it should be better to create dozens of spurious plugins
> than to give the user the information they need and let them decide how
> a plugin should be handled.

In ardour, which allows for any channel configuration I guess this might be
harder. In MusE only 1 and 2 channels are supported at the moment, in which
case it is simpler, atleast that's how I interpret it.

1. Insert a mono plug on a stereo track and both channels will be mixed into
the plugin.
2. Insert a stereo plugin into a mono track and it will be split to both
inputs.

/Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/music/