[linux-audio-dev] Plans/Roadmaps for 2005?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Jan 8 04:38:35 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 15.40, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm writing this email, because i'm interested in what plans the
> different linux audio developers have for the year 2005 Any new
> revolutionary applications planned?

Nothing revolutionary, perhaps, but I'm thinking about hacking some
sort of hybrid sequencer/code editor for Audiality. Type some script
code, hit record and play some notes and control data right into the
source, pop up a graphical envelope editor and adjust the recorded
data a bit etc... Something like that. I'll just start with a mostly
text based interactive script editor and feel my way from there,
while trying to create stuff with it.

> Major changes to some of the
> existing apps?

Audiality will have the old "scripting engine" replaced with a new
bytecode VM based one, designed from the ground up for real time
applications. Almost a complete rewrite, but I'm keeping the name for
now: EEL; Extensible Embeddable Language.

(Better ideas? I'd like to get Real Time, Deterministic or something
in there, to indicate that this isn't Yet Another Scripting Language
With Coffee Break Garbage Collection. DEEL? (Deterministic E.E.L.))

EEL is LGPLed and written in portable C. It's rather similar to Lua in
some ways; about the same size, the VM is about as fast (though the
EEL compiler is rather stupid at this point), has a similar set of
types, dynamic typing, automatic memory management etc - but EEL is
designed with low latency real time applications in mind from the
ground up. The syntax is somewhere in between Lua, C and Pascal, I
guess...

For Audiality, this means true real time scripting, as opposed to
off-line-only rendering of waveforms + some configurable real time
objects. The EEL binding will probably take over from the C API as
the primary low level interface. High level stuff like "play this
sound now" will be defined by the content author by means of scripts
that process events from the application.

> Where is help needed?

I'm wrapping the EEL scripting engine up for the first release as we
speak. (Hunting down the last few bugs that I think are too annoying
to deserve a life on the other side of my firewall.) Some people
playing around with it a bit wouldn't hurt! :-)

I'm planning on hacking an SDL binding as one of the first add-on
projects. That should make the thing a lot more fun to play with. :-D