[linux-audio-dev] [semi-OT] EEL 0.1.0

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Jan 9 20:08:22 UTC 2005

(This is not strictly audio oriented, though the project started out
as part of a sound engine, and I figured it might be of some interest
to some people here.)

There! I've decided the new, rewritten EEL scripting engine is about
ready to start playing around with.

There is some work left to do (some refactoring, some more built-in
classes etc, file I/O and networking modules and stuff), but it
should be totally possible to actually do something with it already,
I think.

EEL is NOT just a spare time project! I get paid to work on this. That
said, I also have a genuine interest in EEL itself, and I have a few
spare time projects that do or will use EEL. (Which basically means
I'm working 12/7 or so on this or on projects using it ATM... *hehe*)

Home site (or excuse for...) here:
 http://eel.olofson.net/

Direct download:
 http://eel.olofson.net/download/EEL-0.1.0.tar.gz

Some facts:
 * Language inspired by C, Pascal, BASIC, Lua etc.
 * Designed for real time applications from the ground up.
 * Dynamic typing; nil, real, integer, boolean + classes.
 * Classes: string and array. (Tables are next.)
 * (Plans include user defined classes and operators.)
 * Automatic memory management.
 * Exceptions. (try...except, throw, retry.)
 * Nested functions with upvalues.
 * Recursion, including mutual.
 * Functions can have optional or tuple arguments.
 * Terms and indices can be lists - operations multiplexed.
 * Compile time import of modules, into scope or namespace.
 * Run time loading of modules.
 * Simple C API for embedding in applications.
 * Stackless bytecode VM with variable size instructions.
 * Compiler with (mostly unused) optimization framework.
 * Speed: Better than 50% of Lua, despite stupid compiler.
 * 17463 lines of (hopefully) portable C code.
 * LGPL. (Maybe LGPL + MIT/X11, if it makes life easier.)