[linux-audio-dev] [semi-OT] EEL 0.1.0

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Jan 11 01:33:03 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 00.02, Mario Lang wrote:
[...]
> Have you looked at SuperCollider3?  It is designed for RT, allows
> for live coding in all sorts of ways (JITLib) and can easily be
> controlled from other apps (the client and server side both can
> send and receive OSC) and it has 8 JACK in and out ports by
> default.

SC3 looks very interesting, but for me, the GPL license is a
showstopper. I need an RT scripting engine for closed source firmware
for a lab instrument (small user base of everything but control
engineers - the only ones who want our source code is our
competitors), and I also prefer my own software (Audiality in
particular) to be usable in both Free and non-Free projects.

>From the technical POV, the fact that SC3 runs the interpreter in a
separate thread sounds rather worrying to me... Why, and what does it
mean in terms of interpreter/audio engine interactiveness? How "real
time" is the actual interpreter? Is the communication sample accurate
in terms of when changes are applied to the audio processing graph?

I know SC is using incremental garbage collection, but that shouldn't
be an issue if it's done right. It can actually be a *better*
solution for RT systems than any form of memory management that
destroys unused objects instantly. (Let's just say large lists, trees
and similar structures are very dangerous in an RT system if you're
using some naive form of refcounting or explicit memory
management...)