[linux-audio-dev] Re: Tuning

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Jan 29 19:01:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 10:48, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:43:37AM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 06:44, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > > That's a classic one. For large N, the output will approach
> > > some form of filtered Gaussian noise. What makes this fractal
> > > noise superior as a source of randomness in a resample algo ?
> >
> >     Because it more closely resembles nature.  Take a look at this page:
> >
> > http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/~rauch/islands/
>
> Nice pictures. But:
>
> - Not everything in nature is fractal. Some things (even
>   very complex ones) are very clearly not.

    All dogs have a tail, that animal has a tail, therefore it is a dog
;-)  I didn't say everything in nature is fractal.  I said fractal noise
sounds more natural.

> - We are not trying to mimic nature, just to avoid a
>   nasty comb filtering effect.

    I thought you were trying to make random changes in pitch sound more
natural when using a pitch tuning algorithm.

> - If I gave you two series of samples, one generated with
>   the fractal method, and one generated by sending white
>   Gaussian noise through a suitable filter, you would have
>   no way to tell which is which. And that means there is
>   nothing special about the fractal noise, apart from the
>   fact that is was generated by an interesting algo :-)

    I disagree.  White noise and pink noise are very different.

Jan