[linux-audio-dev] Tuning

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Sun Jan 30 12:53:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan, 2005 at 10:36AM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 08:41, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Jan, 2005 at 05:09PM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> > >     Next up... a plugin that plays your instrument for you.  Why deal
> > > with the tedious hassle of having to tune your instrument or actually
> > > learn how to play it?  Can't sing... not a problem!  I can see Micro$oft
> > > coming out with something like that ;-)
> > >

> > >     Sorry, but this goes against the grain for me.  If I'm going to suck
> > > live I'd damn well better suck digitally so I'll know better than to
> > > play live ;-)
> >
> > I think you're suffering more from lack of imagination than musical
> > ability.  How would you "tune" plain speech?  i did this with the
> > OB-Tune and the effect was impressive.  Or the sound of a formula one
> > car, removing the doppler efefct to create a very interesting bass?
> >
>     Good point.  I don't normally think about using things other than
> instruments for music.  I can see where that could be very handy.  I
> guess I'm just old school where music is concerned (probably because I'm
> old ;-)

Well since I've only recently clocked up a quarter of a century, most
people still seem old to me.  Although they're getting younger.  And
the bloody kids, making a racket, and this was all fields...

But good for you for playing instruments.  I'd love to be more
proficient, but although I understand the music, I have poor motor
control - not like a disease, just an inherited trait.  I can play the
guitar and the piano, but only slowly.  Too fast and my fingers can't
decide where to go.

That's why I love making music with modern equipment - trackers and
sequencers are the two things that I couldn't live without.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.  I agree that singers that can't sing and
instrumentalists who can't instrument (verb abuse) should be singing
and instrumentalising.

> Jan

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)