[linux-audio-dev] Compiling ALSA. Was: Sending USB msgs to sound card...

Jan Holst Jensen jhje00 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 23:40:25 UTC 2005

> > sourceforge. Can't get it to compile - it misses a
> > ./configure script when running "./build config".
>
> Run the cvscompile script, or see the INSTALL file.
>
> The patch should work with the 1.0.9b release, too.

Know it's been a while, but I have finally had some
time on my hands to look at it again. I used a CVS
snapshot from 2005-06-20 and the patch applies
cleanly. alsa-driver/ builds and installs without
trouble. However, alsa-lib won't build - with and
without the patch.

Using a CVS snapshot as of today, alsa-lib still
refuses to build - and the patch also fails :-/. The
patch is not in CVS (yet?) ? At least I haven't found
any references to IFACE_USB_CTRL in
alsa-kernel/include/asound.h.

The alsa-lib build error is

gcc -shared  .libs/conf.o [...]-Wl,libasound.so.2 -o
.libs/libasound.so.2.0.0
/usr/bin/ld: .libs/libasound.so.2.0.0: undefined
versioned symbol name
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_buffer_size_max at ALSA_0.9
/usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad
value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

When I try to do the steps in cvscompile manually I
get the following:

jhje at flyvehest:~/alsa-cvs/alsa-lib$ automake --foreign
--copy --add-missing
src/Makefile.am:21: invalid unused variable name:
`AM_LDFLAGS'

Must be something obvious since the error is the same
between the two snapshots (?).

Cheers
-- Jan