[linux-audio-dev] desktop audio resumed

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Wed Jul 6 20:51:01 UTC 2005

> For now, I would like your opinion on the issue. Do you
> agree that such a document would be feasible and useful,
> and that the proposed structure/contents make sense?

Yes and no. I think that I simply needed too long until I
understood using linux audio systems. So such a document
would be very helpful for others. That's exactly the reason
why I once created the three linux audio tutorial videos
(see sysexxer.sf.net).

OTOH, the videos have been the initial reason why I wrote the
paper about linux audio usability issues for the LAC 2005. I
thought: Why doing videos teaching people to deal with this
messy system instead of fixing it first? Let's be honest:
Users do not want to learn about a messed subsystem, they
want to use it.

So, if such a document is intended to collect an overview for
experts (who are perhaps prepared to help unmessing the
system) it would be very useful.

But I think a document for end users how to deal with the
audio subsystem is the wrong way, better spending the time
fixing the system.

Just my two cents.

> I am
> not sure that the mailinglist is the best way to write this
> document, maybe we could use a Wiki. I guess the first step
> would be to look for the relevant messages in the "What
> Parts of Linux Audio Simply Work Great?" thread, and write
> a short overview of those.

What about alsa.opensrc.org?

Start a page and I'*ll help filling it with content.

Best regards

    ce