[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] E-Radium V0.61b

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Jul 15 21:10:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, fons adriaensen wrote:

> [ Paul Davis ]
>
>> no, to make everyone happy we need the High Res Timer patch. that avoids
>> the stupidity of a fixed HZ, which is so early '90s that its
>> embarrassing.
>
> Agreed 100%. I just wonder about the availability of the required
> chip on mainstream motherboards. My machine (2 years old now) doesn't
> have it, as far as I'm able to find out. Does anyone have more
> visibility on this ?

I wonder why /dev/rtc isn't used more than it is now. A server/library
system to provide proper timing functions can probably be hacked up
in a day. Is it just because noone has done it, or are there other
reasons?

This is the immediate arguments against having a /dev/rtc
server/client system is:

1. /proc/<something>/max-rtc-frequency must be set higher than the
    default. Done automatically by the /etc/init/something script.
2. /dev/rtc is occupied and can't be used by programs reading /dev/rtc
    directly: Solution: The server doesn't need to occupy /dev/rtc when
    no clients are connected.
3. Trouble to set up. Not really, its just enabling an /etc/init/something
    thing.
4. Security. Nah.