[linux-audio-dev] please help: enumerating library requirements

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jul 22 22:29:30 UTC 2005

paniq at paniq.org wrote:

>   Audio Codec Host
>
>    1. Should support reading/writing Ogg Vorbis
>    2. Should support reading/writing Mp3
>    3. Should support reading/writing FLAC
>    4. Should support reading/writing RIFF WAVE (.WAV)
>    5. Should provide realtime streaming capabilities
>    6. Should be seekable by sample index
>    7. Should provide an abstraction that is independent of the format

If you are willing to go for a pre-release:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/libsndfile-1.0.12pre10.tar.gz

then libsndfile does all of the above except 1) and 2) and possibly
5). What exactly do you mean by "realtime streaming".

Ogg Vorbis (as well as Ogg Speex) is being worked on and is pretty
close to working (Conrad????).

Mp3 is problematic because of the MP3 patent issue. I haven't
investigated it fully, but I may be able to offer MP3 as a format
that can be read but not written.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)