[linux-audio-dev] please help: enumerating library requirements

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sat Jul 23 12:09:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:29:30AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> If you are willing to go for a pre-release:
>
>     http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/libsndfile-1.0.12pre10.tar.gz
> Ogg Vorbis (as well as Ogg Speex) is being worked on and is pretty
> close to working (Conrad????).

Hi,

Here's an update about Ogg support in libsndfile. This was posted to
libsndfile-devel a few days ago.

-----

Support for Ogg Vorbis and Speex formats in libsndfile has not yet been
released. This is mostly my fault :-) I provided an initial implementation
sometime last year, but it does not yet pass all libsndfile's required
feature tests. It does, however, fairly usefully decode, seek and encode
both Ogg Vorbis and Speex files. It may be useful for some of you to
experiment with, and help with further development and testing would be
very much appreciated.

In order to do so, you will need to build the --hack branch of libsndfile
from Eriks' arch repository. To retrieve this using tla:

  tla register-archive http://www.mega-nerd.com/Arch/2004/
  tla get erikd at mega-nerd.com--2004/libsndfile--hack--0

Ogg support requires liboggz and libfishsound:

  http://www.annodex.net/software/liboggz/
  http://www.annodex.net/software/libfishsound/

The release tarballs of each of these are fine. I recommend
liboggz >= 0.9.1 (0.9.1 was released April 8 2005, 0.9.2 last week), and
libfishsound == 0.7.0.

libfishsound prior to 0.7.0 did not contain some API calls that
libsndfile's Ogg support is using, so we previously recommended checking
out libfishsound from svn.annodex.net. This is no longer necessary --
the release tarball is fine. In fact current releases are no longer coming
from trunk, but maintained in
  http://svn.annodex.net/libfishsound/branches/1.0-stable/

Once you get that all built and installed, your favourite libsndfile apps
should happily support Ogg Vorbis and Speex files (as well as the audio
tracks of Ogg Theora files :). However, libsndfile's 'make check' test
suite currently doesn't pass, so feel free to investigate why ;-)

The secret codename for libfishsound 0.7.0 is the Happy Lucky Libsndfile
Release.

Enjoy :)

Conrad.