[linux-audio-dev] [a bit OT] scroll and zoom conventions

Mike Rawes mike_rawes at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 18:59:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:22:24 +0200
Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I'm trying to clear up my mind as to what conventions to follow
> in a GUI for the actions of zooming in and out e.g. a spectrum
> or an impulse response window. It's not the intention to launch
> a debate about this, just to collect other people's ideas.
>
> The accepted model for scrolling is that the user 'moves'
> a *clipbox* that determines what part of the *content* is
> visible. For example, when you drag a scrollbar to the right,
> the clipbox moves to the right. What actually happens of course
> is just the opposite: the clipbox remains static on the screen,
> and the content moves to the left.
>
> The other model is used as well, for example Acrobat Reader
> lets you drag the content directly.

I like Sweep's use of the mouse wheel (if present) to zoom: roll up
zooms in, roll back, out.

> Now my question: what about zooming ? For keyboard shortcuts,
> Ardour uses '+' to zoom out and '-' to zoom in.

On reading this, several words and phrases went through my mind before
finally settling on 'unconventional', or possibly 'unique' :)

+ to zoom in. The thing being increased is magnification, aka zoom (from
roots in photography?)

-
Mike