[linux-audio-dev] [a bit OT] scroll and zoom conventions

Richard Spindler richard.spindler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:00:09 UTC 2005

On 7/27/05, Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be> wrote:
> Now my question: what about zooming ? For keyboard shortcuts,
> Ardour uses '+' to zoom out and '-' to zoom in. This is
> consistent with the idea that the user modifies the clipbox.
> But I still have to think before using it, each time, and I
> could easily imagine using '+' to zoom in. In fact I have no
> clear preference.
> Then there's the questions of icons. If in addition to the
> arrows in a scrollbar you would also have small buttons to
> zoom in and out, what should they look like ?

Hi,

I've started to use a "Scalebar" in my last project (
http://www.matthiasm.com/flScale.html )
And a believe it's an interface element that's quite useful, it works
like a scrollbar, but has little buttons attached at the ends of the
sash that manipulate the zoom level by dragging and streching the
sash.

It's also quite intutive, provided the user understands the concept of
a scrollbar, which most users hopefully do ;)

-Richard