[linux-audio-dev] Gamepad as midi controller?

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Jul 27 22:40:36 UTC 2005

Hi!

Today I went downtown to the big store, to buy a few things I need for
other purposes. They sell computer related stuff as well, and I picked
up a gamepad which had an analogue mini joystick buildin. I've always
thoght that gamepads are glorified arrow keys, but that mini analogue
joystick left me wondering ...

Anybody here have had any luck using something like that under Linux?
For the price of only slightly more than a scrollwheel mouse I think
it's a bargain. Could find good use for balancing out parameters in a 2d
space. It has quite a few buttons also that could be useful for
selecting modes.

It is a USB device (great), but the box says only that it works with all
versions of Windows known to mankind ...

It looks like this:

http://www.clasohlson.se/images/products/S/hi/B/326344_X_2004-08-09_121320.jpg

So, could this be an answer to the budget synthesists need for hands on
control of his linux based softsynths?

mvh // Jens M Andreasen