[linux-audio-dev] Software controller for homemade edrums

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Jun 2 07:55:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:56:12AM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> I am now about to code a software controller to  :
> 1 - either interprete the signal and produce midi (or OSC) events
> 2 - or interprete the signal, and play samples by itself, in a
> standalone manner (no midi)
>
> I tend to prefer the second option, for the following reasons (criticism
> welcome) :

While you could record the trigger signal itself, MIDI or an OSC based
format would be more efficient for storage and would make tempo changes
easy.

MIDI would allow to use existing and ready to go apps like Hydrogen
or Specimen. There's also Smack (TR style now, physical modeling
hand drums in the pipe) or generaly non-sample based percussion patches
for Om (or another modular). You don't want to (re)implement such
a thing just to get around MIDI (or OSC).

http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/
http://smack.berlios.de/

---
Thorsten Wilms