[linux-audio-dev] [ot] [rant] gcc, you let me down one time too many

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Sun Jun 5 09:15:22 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 16:59 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:

> Enter gcc version 3, which drops multi-line inline assembly support.

> Enter gcc version 4, which requires the templated types' constructor
> code be rewritten in the most nonsensical, misleading and ugly fashion

I've been maintaining my libDSP which is written is C++ and contains
inline asm. I haven't had any big problems with new compiler versions
and the code has gone through something like gcc-2.7.x to gcc-4.x. And
actually gcc-3.x was the first one which had really working C++
compiler. All of the 2.x series had broken exception handling.

Making any assumptions on compiler behaviour except those clearly stated
by the standard is dangerous. I usually compile the code using 3-4
different C++ compilers to verify it's functionality. Unfortunately the
inline asm parts have to be removed for some compilers, but those are
architecture specifics anyway and always have a pure C++ implementations
also.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>