[linux-audio-dev] [ot] [rant] gcc, you let me down one time too many

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Jun 6 14:37:31 UTC 2005

Fred Gleason <fredg at salemradiolabs.com> writes:

> On Monday 06 June 2005 00:53, Dave Robillard wrote:
>> >     Good answer.  I've often wondered why anyone would use vectors.
>>
>> Because they dynamically resize, easily, and are generally much simpler
>> to work with, perhaps? :)
>
> Not to mention being more-or-less fully debugged and stable.
>
> I think it's important to preserve some balance here.  While absolute speed is
> important, there are times when it can be a perfectly valid design decision
> to subordinate speed to other goal (such as design flexibility,
> maintainability or even [gasp!] speed of development).  Will it really make
> that much difference if a constructor that runs once at application startup
> takes 0.75 instead of 0.20 sec to complete?

Heh, thats a Redmond argument I'd say :-).
There is nothing wrong (ok, not that much) with accidentally
wasting CPU time, but if you are aware of where are you
wasting it, I dont buy the argument that it is OK to leave it like that :-).

And, even start up time counts, I find programs that need a long
time to start anoying, and LONG is a very subjective number :-).

As a console user, I am still not used to waiting after
I hit RETURN.  Long life the savings from NOT having a GUI :-)

--
CYa,
  Mario