[linux-audio-dev] [ot] [rant] gcc, you let me down one time too many

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Wed Jun 8 19:19:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 05:47 -0700, eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:

>     I'm working with multibeam sonar, airborne topographic and hydrographic
> LIDAR, and airborne hyperspectral imagery data.

Sonar and radar applications are very familiar to me. There is no reason
why those couldn't be very efficient, yet written in C++. My opensource
HASAS passive sonar signal analysis suite, and the libDSP signal
processing library it uses, has been written using C++ and asm. I think
it's still very efficient.

And for example in these kinds of applications the most valuable feature
is how well it performs it's tasks and reliability. Execution speed is
secondary. You can buy more CPU power if required. Most large array
beamformers are heavy SMP systems anyway.

In C/C++ case the performance is more about how you write the code, not
the language you use.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>