[linux-audio-dev] [ot] [rant] gcc, you let me down one time too many

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Wed Jun 8 20:38:57 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 08 Jun 2005 21:45, eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:
> then processing speed becomes extremely important.  There have been
> some very good points made in this discussion and I will definitely
> investigate some of them.  My problem here is that I've heard the
> same type of thing from companies and universities for way too long.

Well, that's the thing.  Most of the people in this discussion are
saying true things, and the context is the reason they don't agree.

I write in C++ these days and I particularly like the capability Paul
mentioned of switching containers after the fact.  But I've also worked
on high-volume hydrographic and borehole data (although not as high
volume as you're talking about) and much of the best and fastest
software I worked on was in FORTRAN.  It was well structured and well
commented, and it was very readable and perfectly good code.

Chris