[linux-audio-dev] [Slightly OT] How to access "real-time" capabilities

Asbjørn Sæbø asbjs at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Jun 9 06:29:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:20:18AM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> asbjs at stud.ntnu.no (Asbjørn Sæbø) writes:

[...]
> > * If given a real-time kernel, what else is necessary to take advantage
> >   of its capabilities?
>
> Your realtime thread needs to use one of the POSIX realtime scheduling
> the code that actually *needs* precise timing.

Thanks!  Bear with me, please, but this is still not totally clear to
me.  This is something that is done in the code, as it is written, is
that correct?  It is not something you can do to an already written
program?

Or, in other words: Is there a way to have an already written/compiled
program to achieve realtime scheduling?

Asbjørn