[linux-audio-dev] [Slightly OT] How to access "real-time" capabilities

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Jun 10 13:13:34 UTC 2005

asbjs at stud.ntnu.no (Asbjørn Sæbø) writes:

> Judging from the answers so far, we should probably try using a 2.6.11
> kernel first.  Using "chrt" on tcpreplay might be worth an attempt as a
> "quick-and-dirty" solution.  And the "real" solution is probably to
> rewrite tcpreplay.

Sounds reasonable.

It's possible that the "rewrite" might not be all that major.  Setting
the scheduling class for a thread is fairly easy.  Making sure it
doesn't call any non-realtime-safe system services is harder.  If you
need to read or write a log file on disk, you'll almost certainly need
a multithread solution similar to what we do for audio capture or
playback.  Disk I/O is definitely *not* a realtime-safe operation.
--
  joq