[linux-audio-dev] [OT] disaster redux

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 18:23:21 UTC 2005

Greetings:

  It has not been a good week.

  As I mentioned yesterday I swapped my hardware into an identical box
as my original machine. Yesterday everything seemed to have returned to
normal operation. I watched some movies, worked on some music, and so forth.

  Today I powered up the box, logged on to the net, downloaded the
latest Csound CVS and started compiling. After a few minutes everything
froze again, the machine was locked tight as a drum. I had to pull the
plug to restart, but when grub came up my keyboard was frozen. I pulled
the plug again and got my keyboard back after restarting.

  Now I'm running memtest again. I realized yesterday that I'd run it on
only one RAM stick so I thought I'd better check again. However, at this
point I'm starting to suspect a bad drive. But *two* bad drives in the
system ?? As I mentioned in an earlier message, the machine failure
occurred regardless of which drive I was using (RH9 on /dev/hdb, FC3 on
/dev/hda).

  So I'm bummed again. Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and buy a
whole new system. :(

Best,

dp