[linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jun 13 08:03:19 UTC 2005

>Jay, if you're looking for cross-platform MIDI solutions there's
>also PortMIDI which is being used as the primary MIDI system for
>Csound5.

I'm actually not looking for cross-platform MIDI any more - MidiShare
does the job.  What I am looking for is a way to use as very little
of ALSA as I possibly need to, while also maintaining a stable
MIDI/Audio subsystem.

>And thanks again to Dr. Albert Graef for the msAlsaSeq bridge. That
>little gem makes it possible to wire any MidiShare app to the ALSA
>sequencer. Very cool to use Common Music to drive everything I can
>connect to the ALSA sequencer.

Its another example of how the MidiShare design really caters to this
sort of approach.  The same position once held by the mighty
msRawSerial/msRawMidi drivers can be filled by .. any .. driver.
msInetDriver is pretty nice .. now if only i had the time to make it
talk to CoreAudio. :)

>IMO Linux MIDI is tasting mighty fine these days. :)

It is pretty fine, I have to say, but then I've always thought so .. ;)

--

;

Jay Vaughan