[linux-audio-dev] Re: Looking for fast integer resampling code

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jun 13 09:47:03 UTC 2005

Alfons Adriaensen wrote:

> What do you mean by 'signal to noise ratio' of a resample algo ?
> I see no reason why it should produce noise, so it's probably not
> what the words suggest.

All sample rate conversion algorithms produce unwanted artifacts.
These artifacts are usually highly correlated with the input signal,
but sometimes do in fact sound like noise.

I gave a handwavey guide to measuring the SNR of a converter in
these slides presented at the Audio Miniconf associated with
LCA 2005. The slides are here:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/secret_rabbit_code.pdf

The measuring os SNR is on pages 16-19 inclusive.

Erik