[linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jun 13 15:05:39 UTC 2005

>Good to see someone other than Grame' guys  try to "push" MidiShare.... ((:

well, i'm only pushing because i'm using it, and i can't use ALSA.  :)

>But Jay, MidiShare cannot help in terms of synchronizing MIDI with
>audio at the sample level..... MidiShare events are 1 millisecond
>time stamped.

yes, i understand that now .. i initially mis-understood pd's idea on
this, since under OSX, MidiShare is 'sync'ed' using an Audio timer..

but, it would in fact be interesting if MidiShare had a new 'Audio
Event' type added to it, from the standpoint of timestamp'ed events
.. thats feasible, i think .. of course, this would only be relevant
if one was already using MidiShare, but it would be a nice addition
to what I consider a very clean and productive API .. /me goes off to
prepare an "AudioShare" patch, heh heh ..

>But well the Linux official API is now ALSA, and the OSX official
>API  is CoreMidi..... and we have to live with that.

what makes an API 'official' under Linux, anyway?  in my opinion, the
old maxim, "use what works" applies .. and ALSA has proven to be a
very difficult and annoying thing to get set up and working (witness
jwz' recent terror) .. while MidiShare has (for the most part) been
smooth and dreamy.

but .. ymmv, yo.

--

;