[linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Mon Jun 13 16:00:21 UTC 2005

Le 13 juin 05 à 17:22, Paul Davis a écrit :

>> what makes an API 'official' under Linux, anyway?  in my opinion, the
>> old maxim, "use what works" applies .. and ALSA has proven to be a
>> very difficult and annoying thing to get set up and working (witness
>> jwz' recent terror) .. while MidiShare has (for the most part) been
>> smooth and dreamy.

An API becomes 'official' ... when its uses but most of the
developers. Remember the old days of OS9 when the 'official' MIDI API
was Opcode OMS.... when MidiShare was already in the field. The
official is not always the 'best' one, but the one pushed by powerful
people... and/or at the right time.

Stephane