[linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jun 13 22:08:34 UTC 2005

> what i meant was that there has been dramatically
> insufficient attention paid to the development of ALSA
> tools and/or APIs that provide the kind of functionality
> that desktop users want. it has been put off and put off as
> the other parts of ALSA have evolved, and now we have a
> really very powerful and flexible system that is more or
> less unusable from a control point of view (for desktop
> users).

Yes and no. The Desktop users usually choose a Distro which is
able to set up ALSA just fine (I personally dislike distro
dependent config tools, regardless if their name was YAST or
DrakConf).

After that they most often feel happy by controlling the
master volume via a mixer applet like kmix.

I agree that alsamixer needs a replacement. I tried to write
one, but failed in an early stage due to my ignorance :) .

> software mixing was something (for example) that in
> retrospect clearly should have been on the table from day
> one.

Or day two, yes, I absolutely agree.

> simple mixer interfaces, ditto.

I still think it's very difficult to create a really good
mixer interface.

Best regards

    ce